Classic Russian Borscht
- 2 large or 3 medium beets, thoroughly washed
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 4 Tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- ½ head of cabbage, thinly chopped (see picture)
- 1 can kidney beans with their juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cups water and 6 cups chicken broth to get 16 cups liquid total
- 5 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped dill
- Fill a large soup pot with 16 cups of water. Add 2 – 3 beets. Cover and boil for about 1 hour. Once you can smoothly pierce the beets with a butter knife, remove from the water and set aside to cool. Keep the water.
- Slice 3 potatoes, add into the same water and boil 15-20 minutes.
- Grate both carrots and dice one onion. Add 4 Tbsp of cooking oil to the skillet and saute vegetables until they are soft (7-10 minutes). Stir in tomato paste when they are almost done cooking.
- Thinly shred ½ a cabbage and add it to the pot when potatoes are half way done.
- Next, peal and slice the beets into match sticks and add them back to the pot.
- Add 6 cups chicken broth, lemon juice, pepper, bay leaves and can of kidney beans (with their juice) to the pot.
- Add sauteed carrots and onion to the pot along with chopped dill.
- Cook another 5-10 minutes, until the cabbage is done.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or real mayo.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small red chili peppers, minced, or 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 12 ounce can coconut milk
- 5-6 thin slices ginger (or galangal, if you have it)
- 5-6 1-inch slices lemongrass
- 1 lime (juice )
- 1 16 ounce package tofu, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large soup or stockpot, sauté the onion, garlic, carrots and mushrooms in oil for just a few minutes until lightly cooked.
- Reduce heat to low and add the vegetable broth, coconut and remaining ingredients, except for cilantro.
- Allow simmering over low heat for at least 15 minutes. Stir in fresh cilantro just before serving.